I am Penny Christensen. Originally from Western Michigan, I have taught and lived in Florida, Georgia, and Michigan. I am a lifelong educator, I am still not sure what that will look like in the future for me. I have formally taught 4th-7th grades, specializing in mathematics, science, and content literacy.
I moved into the Technology Department as a teacher to help with classroom/school level implementation of educational technologies. This technology integration thing is just like acquiring any literacy, one should acquire it and then not need people like me to help. Let’s see.
I have some firm beliefs:
- public schooling can be an act of social justice
- doing well in school does not mean doing well in life and vise versa
- teachers can at any given moment be the one who makes THE difference and they will rarely recognize that opportunity so always be prepared
- standardized testing is data however so is my height
- a person is smarter when they access people from a variety of places and backgrounds